Cylonix and Intellijel have collaborated to bring you a very sophisticated and deeply complex Wavetable VCO. At the core of this module is very powerful FPGA board that he has pushed to the absolute max of its capabilities and crammed full of features. We wanted to create a module that really worked well in the modular context so there are a lot of modulation and control possibilities.
Features at a glance:
- preset sequencing and morphing
- extremely high resolution TZFM
- delay based resonator,
- 64 band vocoder mode
- special audiorate modulation modes (MOD A)
- analog wavefolder
- extensive sync, pulse and modB options
- detuneable 8 note chords and tons more
Each VCO can select from 128 banks of wavetables , each with 8 individual 512-sample waveforms for a total of 1024 waves.
The choice of waveform within the currently selected bank is under voltage control. There is smooth interpolation between the waveforms within a bank, allowing a very wide range of different possible waveshapes.
Oscillator 1 can be operated in a CHORD mode, which runs 8 copies of the oscillator in parallel with adjustable detuning, leading to very fat, rich waveforms. The oscillators have extensive modulation capabilities including audio rate (98KHz) Frequency and Phase Modulation (FM and PM) via external sources. Nonlinear combination processes allow the outputs of the two oscillators to interact to generate complex timbres and sonic textures.
There are 64 user selectable chords.
The SHAPESHIFTER module also includes the analog wave folder circuitry from
module to add analog warmth and metallic rasps to the digital oscillator output.
External signals can also be patched in.
The module includes a sophisticated preset mode where panel settings can be stored. There are 12 user-programmable preset slots and another 52 volatile slots that can be used as a scratchpad. These scratchpad slots are initialized to interesting presets on module powerup. The capabilities of the preset mode is not limited to mere passive storage of settings, however. In this mode the user can also step through, or sequence, the settings, either in order or randomly in response to pulses input to the external sync input. This gives the user the ability to generate complex sequences of sounds. The preset mode also allows the user to morph between the current panel settings and a preset providing a very powerful real-time performance tool.
8 Different sync modes: HARD, SOFT, REV, HOLD, BUMP, 2=1, 1=2, OFF
with the ability to internally sync to a sub oscillator
User selectable modes for the PULSE output: OR, AND, XOR, GLCH, +OSC1, EOC, +OSC2, -OSC2
MOD A modes: (audio rate modulation)
COMBO IN, SHAPE IN, PHASEMOD, VOCODER
MOD B options (all with CV control)
-Combo modes for OSC1 and OSC2:
NORMAL, RING, MIN, PONG, INLV, AND, XOR, GLCH
-Chord mode overdrive
-Delay depth and FB
-Percussive mode decay time
- Added: 4 new MODA destinations, swapping Osc2 by Osc1 in the Phase, Combo, and Shape destinations, and swapping the Carrier and Modulator in the vocoder.
- Changed: The modulation range for the Phase modulation (by MODA) and the Tilt function (internal self-phase modulation of Osc1) has been increased 4-fold.
- Fixed: In version 1.01 and version 1.02 the Shape1 and Shape2 parameters were coarsely quantized when Morphing between panel and preset settings in Preset Morph mode. The Shape parameters now smoothly morph between settings.
- Fixed: The pitch of oscillator 2 increased when changing the Multi mode with QUANT turned on. The pitch now remains constant over all multi modes.
- Added: Users can now choose between just intonation or equal temperament tunings in chord mode.
- Added: Holdsync mode has been changed to do holdsync for osc1 and oneshot for osc2.
- Added: A confirmation message is now displayed when a preset is loaded.
- Added: The version number of the firmware is now displayed when entering the SplashScreen display.
- Fixed: In version 1.00 there were small discontinuities in the waveforms when the Shape1 and Shape2 parameters were rapidly modulated. These have been eliminated.